I’ve been asking Ella Rae if she wanted to go see Santa Clause….although I honestly really struggle with the idea of letting a “strange man with a white beard” get all the credit for presents and telling my kids he’s watching them (CREEPY) and that he’s real when he’s really not….anyway….I guess we’re doing the Santa Clause thing until my kids ask if he’s real because she did really want to go. A lot of Ella Rae’s friends went to see Santa here in our neighborhood and she saw their pictures and decided she did in fact want to go and bring him her list of presents but, “I don’t wanna sit on his lap, Mommy!” is what she made sure I understood. So we set out to (don’t laugh)……Bass Pro Shop! Yep, the ole Bass Pro Shop has a great Santa and activities for the kids and the picture is FREE!!
We had such a great time. I got the kids all dressed up and we headed down there one evening to meet daddy for dinner and see Santa. The kids enjoyed some crafts and other activities. While waiting in line Ella Rae was so excited to show Santa her list, which was really pictures we printed out of the toys she would like (and Alden too). They were both super good standing in line! And then….it was our turn and they freaked out!! We snapped a quick one of Ella Rae sitting in a chair and Alden with Santa and then I quickly grabbed Alden and took him off to the side. She still insisted on giving him her picture list so Daddy held her while she and Santa discussed it, which was very nice. “Strange man with a white beard” turned out to be a great Santa; he really wanted the kids to have a good memory of their visit and took time to listen to their requests. Ella Rae even showed him what Alden wanted. Sweet girl!
Another first this year for Christmas is our Elf on a Shelf. It’s a little elf that came with a book explaining that he watches for you to be naughty or nice and then reports back to Santa each night. We move him around the house but the story reads that you can’t touch him and he doesn’t talk but he listens and watches! Again, I can’t decide if this is slightly creepy too or what but anyway….I guess we’re doing the Elf thing too….it does work when I say, “uh oh, Elfie is watching.” And she does seem to like looking for him in the morning. I’ll follow the same logic as with Santa – it’s a fun tradition to participate in during this season and until she asks me for the truth I guess we’ll keep Elfie around the house. Today he’s hanging from the light in the kitchen.
While all these traditions are fun this time of year (and maybe a little creepy), one thing is certain Jesus is the Reason for The Season and that I know is true! I want to be sure our kids understand we’re celebrating the birth of our Savior, without whom we would not be here. So on Christmas morning we will start our own little tradition of singing Happy Birthday to Jesus!
For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son. God gave his Son so that whoever believes in him may not be lost, but have eternal life. John 3:16
 |
| Ella Rae's Christmas List |
 |
| Alden's Christmas List |
 |
| Making an ornament |
 |
| Alden making an ornament too! |
 |
| Waiting in line so see Santa. I love the look on her face. |
 |
| Daddy made it! Alden just wanted Mommy. |
 |
| Santa Clause Visit - 2010 |
 |
| Telling Santa about her list. Thanks for the candy cane Santa! |
No comments:
Post a Comment