Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Just a Little Poppy Seed…

I honestly didn’t think I would blog about this, but God has really put it on my heart lately to share in spite of my initial reaction to keep it very private. And because our blog is something I print and keep as a part of our family albums – this story will now always be a documented part of our albums too.  

As if Easter Sunday morning couldn’t be a more amazing day - right?! Well, it was for our family….early that morning I found out I was pregnant with #3! Woohoo! This explains the tiredness and nausea. We were so excited; even though that little pink line was very faint – it was there! I quickly downloaded an app (I’m app crazy!) to determine due date, etc. I laid there reading that the little one was about the size of a “poppy seed” and I was due 12/28! How sweet – a Christmas baby!

I went to the doctor Monday to confirm things, but the test was so faint at the office that my midwife decided to do blood work. Tuesday - I learned my HCG level was 19 and the test was POSITIVE! A very cautious Yeah emerged! Wednesday - they did more blood work to be sure my HCG level was rising (doubling).  However, by Thursday (4/28) mid-morning my body was giving me signs that things were not good! That afternoon I got the call from my doc that my HCG level had dropped to 15 and that I was going to miscarry. I was devastated! I realize that no woman thinks she’s ever going to suffer through a miscarriage. I certainly didn’t think so, having had 2 very easy attempts at getting pregnant, 2 very healthy pregnancy’s and labors. Initially I was just sad, tired, and sick - and then that quickly turned to “why?” 

First of all - GOD IS GOOD! This I know! Scripture says, "Don't be afraid for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will hold you with My righteous right hand." Is. 41:10.  That basically says it all.  When I’m struggling with something and cry out to God for help – he always answers me! And this time – it was no different. God brought to me - my precious friends! My sweet friend, Teresa, brought me lunch and stayed with me most of the afternoon Thursday. My adorable friend, Kerri, brought me my favorite cupcakes with smiley faces on them and much encouragement! How did she find time to bake for me with 5 small kids of her own? She MADE time! And then there’s my Angie! I can’t say enough about this woman in my life! She told me to come to her house on Friday. I arrived Friday morning EARLY and she made breakfast for all of us – keep in mind she has 4 kids of her own, so with my 2 - she now had 6 kids! She took them outside so I could rest (and watch Royal Wedding coverage) and made lunch and dinner! At dinner, she and Michael (her hubby) asked if my kids could stay the night. Well, of course you don’t have to ask me twice there! I went home, relaxed and slept so much better than I had the previous night. When I arrived to pick up my kiddos on Saturday, they were bathed, dressed and fed! This is what friendship is all about. Brad and I are so incredibly blessed to have this family in our life!  They wouldn’t have had it any different and loved – I mean loved doing that for us. They are true servants of the Lord! We look up to this family!  

Brad and I are very optimistic and he continues to encourage me with trusting what God has planned for our life and our family. I know he’s right! My personality is such that I have to search out “why” or at least rule out any health issues. I will set out to do this with my doctors. We thank God for our friends and for the peace he has provided us.

It’s amazing how attached you become to something so tiny and to the very idea of adding to our family. And we won’t forget our "little poppy seed" and what this has taught us about the importance of friendship and the true foundation it serves in our life!

No comments: