Saturday, May 8, 2010

Stone Cold Negotiator

I’ve realized this week that Anne and I have raised one Stone Cold Negotiator. In the business world, I have navigated the waters of some pretty tough negotiations, but I have never seen anything like what went down this week. Let me explain – in the business world, negotiations are a give and take; both parties usually meet in the middle and everyone goes home happy. There are no lopsided deals. This principle does not necessarily hold true at home, especially when dealing with your kids. This week, I have done much more giving than taking – if this week were a business deal, it would have been lopsided. I would say 85% Ella Rae – 15% Daddy.

She has been especially crafty this week in negotiating my bubble gum away from me. Now I realize that most moms will read this and cringe so we will get it out of the way – YES, I GAVE MY DAUGHTER BUBBLE GUM… A LOT OF BUBBLE GUM!! She was always under close supervision when chewing gum, but we went through nearly 2 packs this week. I never really thought this was a problem until this morning. We went to the park to burn some energy on the playground. As we were getting out of the van, Ella Rae asked me for some bubble gum. I told her, “Honey, we ate all of our bubble gum, Daddy doesn’t have any more.” Only seconds later, this lady whom we did not know stopped to admire the kids and Ella Rae asked her – “bubble gum?” This lady looked at me kind of puzzled and I just sheepishly shrugged my shoulders. I couldn’t possibly ruin a child in one week…could I?

Seriously though, to all you mothers – GOD BLESS YOU – to do what you do is a gift. It was an awesome week, one I will remember for the rest of my life, but it’s a grind. In most ways it was one of the best weeks of my life, but I have an enhanced appreciation of what Anne goes through every day. As parents, there’s just something so appealing about our kids and no matter how tough a day may seem, we’re all just drawn back in the next day asking for more.


2 comments:

Hildreth Family said...

Brad,
I love it that you have blogged this week! Hilarious story about the pappies :) It's neat to see a daddy put it all in writing! I'm sure you have had a very memorable week, just in time for you to show your appreciation to Anne for Mother's Day :)

Casey and Jamie Wood said...

Brad-I love that you did this for Anne. I think that every dad should be required to step into the mom's shoes. I also love that you are keeping the blog going. Props to you!